Tyre characteristics of F1tenth cars

Respected members,

I am a researcher who is currently using F1tenth models for racing line optmization.

While reading some papers, I found fellow researchers using the tire cornering stiffness coefficient CS,f in the model. I wanted to know how to find the exact value of this coefficient since this data is usually attained either via experiments or is provided by the manufacturer. Furthermore, my project requires using a non-linear tire model which necessitates experimental evaluation. I have been planning on conducting experiments but we do not have a facility to derive tire characteristics i.e. Forces vs Slip angle through a testbed. Hence I would like to know if you might have some suggestions as to what would be the best way to evaluate tire characteristics experimentally for small scaled-model cars as this is essential to designing an MPC-based controller. My goal is to find Force vs Slip Angle graph experimentally without test bed for any custom small scale tyre.
I would appreciate any help or suggesstions in this regard.

PS: I have read some papers that explain how to find tyre characteristics experimentally using IMU and GPS but those experiments are usually conducted on full scale cars with smaller steering angle increments and more accurate onboard IMU + GPS sensors.

hi,

as you stated above, the parameters are normally provided by the manufacturer or in experimental setups. Getting the tyre parameter without having a test-bed or without doing the experiments - either with a car or a tyre testbench - is not possible. You can look at what other researchers are using for their tyre parameters and use the same if that helps.

Hi,
You are correct that the most accurate data for tires is only possible by doing test bed simulations and data collection.
There are some research papers out there especially from the BARC group (UC Berkeley) where they have shown how to develop a nonlinear tire model (a simplified Pacejka model) from just data collection. ANd they used it to perform autonomous drifting maneouvers.
Normally, I would have suggested that you use linear model and work with it if you plan to not do any aggressive maneovers at high speeds, but considering your project revolves around nonlinear model then I would suggest that you record a lot of data from experiments at different speeds and then reverse engineer (system identify) your force graphs. You can check out the Berkely paper i talk about for more details.